Vegetarian black-eyed peas recipe
- 2 cups of pre-soaked Fresh black-eyed peas
- 1/2 diced, small yellow onion
- 4 large, diced garlic cloves
- 1 stick celery with leaf tops
- approx 1/2 to 1 tbs. of Better Than Bouillon, Chicken
- 3-4 cups of water
- 10-15 cherry or grape tomatoes cut small (or a drained can of Ro-Tel if you like it spicy!)
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms
- 1–1.5 tsp. of chili powder
- 1–1.5 tsp. of cumin powder
- Red pepper powder
Put Better Than Bouillon into approximately a 1/2 cup hot water. Stir to blend. Put liquid into pan and heat to boiling. Add garlic, onions and celery. Stir until cooked through about 3 minutes.
Add chili powder and cumin according to your taste, but probably about 1–1/2 tsp of each. Add black-eyed peas and water. Cook over rolling boil for at least 2 hours.
Stir and check periodically to ensure the peas are done. Over the last 15 minutes, add mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and approximately 1/2 tsp of red pepper. Continue to cook until done. Top with fresh ground black pepper. Salt is not necessary as bouillon has some in it.
Eat alone or serve with rice. Enjoy!