Brown Rice and Vegetable recipe with Herb Gratin
This great recipe comes from Cookshelf Vegetarian
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 red Onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1-1/2 zucchini, sliced
- 10 baby corn cobs, sliced lengthwise
- 2-1/2 tbs raw sunflower seeds
- 3 tbs chopped mixed herbs (I usually add oregano, basil and thyme, but you can put whatever combination you want!)
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella (I use Parmesan and really like it)
- 2 tbs breadcrumbs (wheat-free if possible)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Lightly grease 9X13 dish. Heat the butter in skillet and add the onion and garlic and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Then add carrots, zucchini and corn cobs and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Mix the rice with the sunflower seeds and mixed herbs and stir into the pan. Stir in half the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the mixture into the greased dish and top with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Cook in pre-heated oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes until cheese begins to turn golden. Serve immediately.
Variations: You can use different rice, such as Basmati or Jasmine. Also, try using different types of spices for different themes: cilantro and coriander for Mexican style; curry for Indian style.
Get Creative and Enjoy!