Chickpea, Carrot and Olive Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette
This fabulous recipe came from the Jan 2009 issue of “Oprah” Magazine.
- 1-1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 tbs. Sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbs. finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1. To make vinaigrette: In a small pan, toast cumin seeds over medium heat for about 1 minute, shaking pan so seeds do not burn. Transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop seeds, then place in a small bowl. Add vinegar and then oil in a slow stream, whisking until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. To make salad: Combine chickpeas, carrot, celery, olives, raisins, chives and cilantro in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup vinaigrette and mix well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
I personally made a couple of tweaks: I use 2 tsp Cumin Seeds and 2 cans of Organic Garbanzo Beans. It tastes great – and the longer it marinates in the vinaigrette, the more fabulous it is! Enjoy it!